Great Barrier Reef Tours Cairns
Great Barrier Reef Tours Cairns: A Journey Through Australia’s Natural Wonder
The Great Barrier Reef is one of the world’s most stunning natural wonders, spanning over 2,300 kilometres and consisting of thousands of individual reefs and islands. Cairns, located in the tropical north of Queensland, is the perfect starting point for a Great Barrier Reef adventure. From Cairns, visitors can access some of the best reef sites, including the outer reef, home to an incredible array of marine life.
In this article, we’ll take you through the Great Barrier Reef Tours Cairns, providing insights into what you can expect on your trip, including the best tour operators, the most popular activities, and some frequently asked questions.
Great Barrier Reef Facts
- You can see Australia’s Great Barrier Reef from the Moon.
- Australia’s Great Barrier Reef is the World’s latest coral reef system. Over 2,900 individual reefs and around 900 islands stretch over 2,300 kilometres (1429 miles) over an area of approximately 344,400 square kilometres and are managed by the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority.
- The Great Barrier Reef is about 10% of the world’s coral reefs.
- The Great Barrier Reef is one of the seven natural wonders of the World UNESCO site ID:154. The reef became a World Heritage site in 1981.
- All of the corals on the Great Barrier Reef spawn once a year. It’s the most significant sex event on the planet, and it generally happens around four days after the full moon in November.
- The Coral Sea on the North East Queensland Coast of Australia is home to the Great Barrier Reef.
- Ten per cent of the world’s fish live on the Great Barrier Reef.
- On the 1st of July 2004, the Great Barrier Reef became the world’s largest protected marine area.
- Coral Reefs create clouds to control the climate.
- The brilliant colour of coral comes from zooxanthellae (tiny algae) living inside their tissues.
Read more about the Great Barrier Reef.
Pick your Perfect tour to Experience the Magic of the Great Barrier Reef.
We’ve handpicked our favourite few Great Barrier Reef tours with tours ranging from half a day to multiple nights and activities from scuba diving deep underwater to soaring above magnificent reefs in a helicopter.
We have trips for everyone, including backpackers, families, couples, and more. Still, each is guaranteed to provide a fantastic showcase of the magical underwater paradise that is the Great Barrier Reef.
Great Barrier Reef activities
Dive into the crystal-clear waters and explore the vibrant coral reefs up close. Snorkelling lets you witness the incredible marine life that calls the reef home, including colourful fish and exotic sea creatures.
For those seeking a more immersive experience, scuba diving is a fantastic option. Cairns offers certified dive tours that take you deeper into the reef, where you can encounter larger marine species like turtles, sharks, and rays.
Glass-Bottom Boat Tours
If you prefer to stay dry, take a glass-bottom boat tour. These tours provide a unique perspective of the reef’s beauty. You can marvel at the coral formations and marine life through the clear glass bottom of the boat.
Soar above the Great Barrier Reef on a helicopter ride. This thrilling adventure offers breathtaking aerial views of the reef’s intricate patterns and the stunning turquoise waters.
Many tours include visits to picturesque reef islands. Here, you can relax on sandy beaches, enjoy a picnic, or take a nature walk to discover the island’s unique flora and fauna.
Snuba combines snorkeling and scuba diving, making it accessible to beginners and experienced divers. It allows you to explore underwater while connected to a floating air supply.
Marine Biologist Talks
Some tours offer informative sessions led by marine biologists. These talks provide valuable insights into the reef’s ecology, conservation efforts, and the importance of preserving this natural wonder.
Photography and Videography
Capture your incredible experiences with underwater photography and videography services on many tours. Create lasting memories of your adventure on the Great Barrier Reef.
Experience the Reef in a different light, literally. Some tours offer night snorkeling and diving experiences, allowing you to witness the reef’s nocturnal creatures and the mesmerizing phenomenon of bioluminescence.
Cruise and Relaxation
Enjoy a leisurely cruise on the reef with delicious meals and onboard entertainment. It’s a perfect way to unwind and soak in the beauty of the reef.
If you’re a fishing enthusiast, consider booking a fishing tour. Cairns offers excellent opportunities for reef and game fishing.
Whale Watching (seasonal)
During the whale migration season (usually from June to September), you can embark on whale-watching tours to witness the majestic humpback whales as they pass through the area.
Remember that the activities available may vary depending on the tour operator and the time of year. So, checking with your chosen tour provider for specific details and availability is a good idea. Enjoy your adventure on the Great Barrier Reef!
- The Great Barrier Reef is the world’s largest coral reef system, stretching over 2,300 kilometres along the coast of Queensland, Australia.
- The Great Barrier Reef is home to over 1,500 species of fish, 400 types of coral, and thousands of other marine animals, making it one of the most diverse ecosystems in the world.
- Cairns is the perfect starting point for a Great Barrier Reef adventure, with easy access to some of the best reef sites, including the outer reef.
- Reef Experience, Ocean Spirit, Silverswift and Sunlover Cruises are some of the best tour operators for Great Barrier Reef tours in Cairns, offering a range of activities and experiences.
- On a Great Barrier Reef tour, you can expect to see stunning coral reefs, colourful marine life, and clear turquoise waters.
- Snorkelling and scuba diving are popular activities on Great Barrier Reef tours in Cairns, with opportunities to see tropical fish, sea turtles, and even Reef sharks.
Following safety guidelines and respecting the marine environment while on a Great Barrier Reef tour is important. The Great Barrier Reef has become an increasingly popular destination for travellers worldwide in recent years. Located off the coast of Queensland, Australia, the Great Barrier Reef is the largest coral reef system in the world, covering over 344,000 square kilometres. Cairns, a vibrant coastal city in northern Queensland, is one of the most popular departure points for Great Barrier Reef tours. In this article, we’ll explore some of the top Great Barrier Reef tours Cairns offers and answer some common questions about this incredible natural wonder.
Frequently Asked Questions about Great Barrier Reef Tours Cairns
Q, What is the Great Barrier Reef?
Q, How can I book a Great Barrier Reef tour?
Q, What should I expect on a Great Barrier Reef tour?
Q, Are there tours suitable for beginners and non-swimmers?
Q, What's the best time to visit the Great Barrier Reef in Cairns?
Q, Are there family-friendly options available?
Q, Can I see the Great Barrier Reef's beauty without getting wet?
Q, What measures are taken to protect the Great Barrier Reef?
Q, How do I get to Cairns for my Great Barrier Reef adventure?
Q, Are there special packages or deals available for Great Barrier Reef tours?
Why these Great Barrier Reef Tours?
We’ve picked the best in each category of Great Barrier Reef experiences.
We also know that a family of four may have different priorities for their Reef tour than a backpacker on a budget.
That’s why we’ve diligently chosen our favourite tours to cater to every type of visitor. We fell in love with the Great Barrier Reef years ago, and it’s our passion to help you do the same.