Great Barrier Reef Facts
The Great Barrier Reef is this planets’ largest living organism and the only living organism visible from Space! It is located in the Coral Sea off the East Coast of Australia, Queensland, and is a treasured UNESCO World Heritage-listed site.
We have a passion for showing you Australia’s Great Barrier Reef and, as locals, have all the information to help you plan your perfect ‘once in a lifetime’ memory!
- You can see Australia’s Great Barrier Reef from the Moon.
- Australia’s Great Barrier Reef is the World’s latest coral reef system. Over 2,900 individual reefs and around 900 islands stretching over 2,300 kilometres (1429 miles) over an area of approximately 344,400 square kilometres and is managed by the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority.
- The Great Barrier Reef makes up about 10% of the world’s coral reefs.
- The Great Barrier Reef is one of the seven natural wonders of the World UNESCO site ID:154. The reef became a World Heritage site in 1981.
- All of the corals on the Great Barrier Reef spawn once a year it’s the most significant sex event on the planet, and it generally happens around four days after the full moon in November.
- The Coral Sea on the North East Queensland Coast of Australia is home to Great Barrier Reef.
- Ten per cent of the worlds entire fish species live on the Great Barrier Reef.
- On the 1st of July 2004, the Great Barrier Reef became the largest protected marine area in the World.
- Coral Reefs create clouds to control the climate.
- The brilliant colour of coral comes from zooxanthellae (tiny algae) living inside their tissues.
Read more about the Great Barrier Reef.
Pick your Perfect Tour to Experience the Magic of the Great Barrier Reef
With tours ranging from half a day to multiple nights, and activities from scuba diving deep underwater to soaring above magnificent reefs in a helicopter, we’ve handpicked our favourite select few Great Barrier Reef tours.
We have trips for everyone, including backpackers, families, couples, and more. Still, each is guaranteed to provide a fantastic showcase of the magical underwater paradise that is the Great Barrier Reef.
Why these Great Barrier Reef Tours?
We’ve picked the best of the best in each category of Great Barrier Reef experiences.
We also know that a family of four may have different priorities for their Reef tour than a backpacker on a budget.
That’s why we’ve diligently chosen our favourite tours to cater to every type of visitor. We fell in love with the Great Barrier Reef years ago, and now it’s our passion to help you do the same.